At the recent WPC12 in Toronto, Microsoft laid out more of their battle plans for the Enterprise Cloud Computing market.
Naturally they are aggressively positioning Hyper-V as the platform of choice for the large corporate looking to roll out Cloud internally.
At this Private Cloud web site they provide white papers and other resources that make some challenging comparisons with VMware.
This trend highlights the context for one of our keynote Technology Strategy Board members: ServiceMesh.
ServiceMesh founder and CEO Eric Pulier is one of our global leadership team, helping us define the role of their technologies and how it enables Enterprise Cloud Computing.
Fundamentally this can be defined as ‘Private Cloud Agility’, one of our headline themes for this best practice.
Private Clouds are achieved through products like Hyper-V or VMware, and improving agility is one of their primary benefits, achieved through self-service automation and other key features.
However these base products aren’t everything you need to fully maximize these benefits by adopting a number of key architecture principles, and so ServiceMesh adds a lot of extra value.
Integrating with System Centre, they provide a variety of additional capability for managing VM workloads across internal and external Clouds, such as:
- Agile Operating Model: Their ‘Agility Platform’ enables an agile set of operations, like self-service and automated orchestration in such a way to improve the enterprise maturity model.
- Cloud-bursting: This can facilitate VM provisioning across internal Private Clouds, like Hyper-V, as well as external Cloud providers like Amazon aka “Cloud-bursting”.
- VM template driven – Build stacks to enable portability of your apps across these multiple Clouds.
- Define meta-data for apps – Define and apply meta-data to applications that can govern their deployment across Clouds, applying policies that control security, compliance, auto-scaling and so forth. This can even include , and also enables building a ‘single system of record’ based on this meta-data.
These policy attributes can even include IT helpdesk policies, and the toolset used for functions like Live Migration of VMs for enhanced BCP and portability.
- Cloud Computing: ServiceMesh Teams with Apprenda, Cloud Cruiser & Derdack (cloudcomputing.sys-con.com)